The Division of Composition, Musicology, and Theory of the College-Conservatory of Music, University of Cincinnati, seeks an outstanding candidate with a research specialization in African, African Diasporic, Latinx, and/or Indigenous music(s) to augment our current program strengths and support relationships with allied departments and local communities. The tenure-track position in ethnomusicology at the Assistant Professor level starts in August 2024. Candidates with an established record in teaching, research, and service may accelerate their tenure review process.
In this role, candidates will be expected to use research and performance to critically engage and expand canonical repertories, practices, and knowledge-building in ethnomusicology and/or related disciplines. The successful candidate will integrate performance, research, and teaching of one or more historically marginalized musical styles in ways that will benefit a culturally diverse population of conservatory students. The candidate is encouraged to collaborate with faculty and students in Africana Studies, Latin American, Caribbean, and Latino/a/x Studies, or other related disciplines.
- Teaching core undergraduate and graduate courses in musicology/ethnomusicology
- Developing original courses in the candidate’s field of specialization, with the possibility of directing a student performance ensemble
- Advising research in area(s) of expertise; maintaining an active program of research and scholarly publication
- Participating in divisional, college, and university-wide committees
Prior to effective date of appointment, all of the following are required:
- PhD in ethnomusicology or a related discipline.
- Research specialization in African, African Diasporic, Latinx, or Indigenous music(s), as evidenced by (a) a doctoral dissertation or (b) at least one research publication or (c) at least one research presentation.
- One academic year of collegiate teaching experience.
Please complete an online application at https://bit.ly/3MVJNKt. Applicants should submit:
- Contact information only for three professional references
- Curriculum vitae
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion statement
- Letter of application indicating areas of research specialization and university-level teaching experience
Please use the ‘Additional Documents’ option as needed for these documents.
Appointment Date: August 15, 2024
Deadline: Review of applications will begin December 15, 2023, but applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Compensation and Benefits
UC offers a wide array of complementary and affordable benefit options, to meet the financial, educational, health, and wellness needs of you and your family. Eligibility varies by position and FTE.
- Competitive salary range of $60,000 – $63,000 dependent on the candidate’s experience.
- Comprehensive insurance plans including medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage.
- Flexible spending accounts and an award-winning employee wellness program, plus an employee assistance program.
- Financial security via our life and long-term disability insurance, accident and illness insurance, and retirement savings plans.
- Generous paid time off work options including vacation, sick leave, annual holidays, and winter season days in addition to paid parental leave.
- Tuition remission is available for employees and their eligible dependents.
- Enjoy discounts for on and off-campus activities and services.
FOR ALL FACULTY HIRES OFFICIAL ACADEMIC TRANSCRIPTS WILL BE REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF HIRE
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked to include a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
For questions about the UC recruiting process or to request accommodations with the application, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran.