Assistant/Associate Professor of Ethnomusicology, College-Conservatory of Music
The Division of Musicology, Composition and Theory at the College-Conservatory of Music, University of Cincinnati, seeks an outstanding candidate with a research specialization in African, African Diasporic, Latinx, and/or Indigenous music(s) to augment our current program strengths and support relationships with allied departments and local communities. The tenure-track position in ethnomusicology at the Associate or Assistant professor level starts in August 2023. Candidates with an established record in teaching, research, and service may accelerate their tenure review process.
In this role candidates will be expected to use research and performance to critically engage and expand canonical repertories, practices, and knowledge-building in Ethnomusicology and/or related disciplines. The successful candidate will integrate performance, research and teaching of one or more historically marginalized musical styles in ways that will benefit a culturally diverse population of conservatory students. The candidate is encouraged to collaborate with faculty and students in Africana Studies, Latin American, Caribbean, and Latino/a/x Studies, or other related disciplines.
- Teaching core undergraduate and graduate courses in musicology/ethnomusicology.
- Developing original courses in their field of specialization, with the possibility of directing a student performance ensemble.
- Advising research in area(s) of expertise; maintaining an active program of research and scholarly publication.
- Participating in divisional, college, and university-wide committees.
Prior to effective date of appointment, all of the following are required:
- PhD in ethnomusicology or a related discipline.
- Research specialization in African, African Diasporic, Latinx, and/or Indigenous music(s), as evidenced by a doctoral dissertation -or- at least one research publication -or- at least one research presentation.
- Minimum one academic year of collegiate teaching experience.
Applicants should apply online at https://bit.ly/3VG2lA3 and submit the following materials electronically:
- Contact information only for three professional references.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Letter of application indicating areas of research specialization and university-level teaching experience.
- Please use the Additional Documents option for the additional documents.
Deadline: Review of applications will begin January 31, 2023, but applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Compensation and Benefits
UC offers a wide array of complementary and affordable benefit options, to meet the financial, educational, health, and wellness needs of you and your family. Eligibility varies by position and FTE.
- Competitive salary range of $60,000 – $75,000 dependent on the candidate’s experience.
- Comprehensive insurance plans including medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage.
- Flexible spending accounts and an award-winning employee wellness program, plus an employee assistance program.
- Financial security via our life and long-term disability insurance, accident and illness insurance, and retirement savings plans.
- Generous paid time off work options including vacation, sick leave, annual holidays, and winter season days in addition to paid parental leave.
- Tuition remission is available for employees and their eligible dependents.
- Enjoy discounts for on and off-campus activities and services.
FOR ALL FACULTY HIRES OFFICIAL ACADEMIC TRANSCRIPTS WILL BE REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF HIRE
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked to include a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
As a UC employee, and an employee of an Ohio public institution, if hired you will not contribute to the federal Social Security system, other than contributions to Medicare. Instead, UC employees have the option to contribute to a state retirement plan (OPERS, STRS) or an alternative retirement plan (ARP).
The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran.