Day 3 (July 8, 2001)
The Invisible Mainstream:
Conservative, Ubiquitous and 'Popular'
Ironically, popular music studies has often been uncomfortable with
more “popular” musics. Moreover, it has often been uncomfortable with
those musics that do not challenge or that actively uphold the status quo.
This stream welcomes papers on the following topics:
- Critically derided musics: boy bands, heavy metal, country and
western, stadium rock
- 'Conservative' musics: national anthems, re-invented 'folk' musics,
- Ubiquitous musics: television and film music, musak, music in public
spaces, music as background, soundscapes
- Listening and production practices of such musics, responses to
- The construction and practice of 'stardom'
- The concept of the 'mainstream'