Call for Contributions
Institut für Anglistik und Amerikanistik
Following last year’s international conference on HipHop in Germany’s Ruhr Area, we are planning to edit a volume that explores hip-hop culture in Europe from a transnational and transatlantic perspective.
We are inviting essays covering, but not limited to, the following topics:
- hip-hop as a transnational phenomenon
- founding myths, histories, and hip-hop historiography
- appropriations of American hip-hop in European countries or regions
- hip-hop as a motor of structural change, as a creative industry, and in the framework of European cultural capitals
- economies, industries, and markets between commodification and “street credibility”
- race, class, and gender issues
- representations in literature, film, music videos, media
- performance and performativity
- hip-hop in academia, education, pedagogy, and social work
We are looking for contributions from a wide range of disciplines, foremost American Studies and Cultural Studies, but also Media Studies, Economics, Education, History, Geography, Social Science, Political Science, and Theology. Submissions by young scholars are especially welcome.
If you are interested in contributing to this volume, please email
- a short abstract of your proposed chapter (100 words) and
- a short bio blurb by 31 July 2011 to Sina Nitzsche.
TU Dortmund University
Faculty of Culture Studies
Emil-Figge-Str. 50, office 0.413
Institute of English and American Studies at TU Dortmund University